Egg Tofu-It's not really A Thing!
When manufacturers talk you into “egg whites,” They’re talking you into paying a higher price for half the goods. I mean quite literally-half the egg is missing! Egg tofu doesn’t lie like that. In fact- tofu is not egg. It is not part of egg. But it can certainly trick you into thinking it is in this recipe! This scrunched up tofu eerily resembles the perfect scrambled eggs!
I never really got the egg white appeal. Disguise eggs in a milk carton so we’re pouring it versus crackin’ it? Everyone knows the crackin’ is the best part when it comes to eggs!
Egg whites- I scoff at you! I recommend egg tofu-so you can have your egg-ish dish and eat it too!
Three Reasons to Choose Egg Tofu.
1. Tofu doesn’t lie. First off, it’s totally not an egg. It’s cool with that.
2. Egg tofu can help lower cholesterol naturally as its low in fat and calories and fiber filled! Not that an egg promotes unhealthy cholesterol-but that’s a story for another day! This is a no egg tofu scramble, and there’s no need for name calling around here!
3. Seriously what other reasons do you need. Tofu for the win!
Vegans Break Rules, You Can Too!
If you’re as old as I am, you probably remember seeing a fat bottomed pyramid with a bunch of food in it telling all the kids at school what was up. Vegans clearly flunked that section of grammar school- ignoring the clearly labeled rectangular unit screaming MEAT that oh so long ago seemed mandatory. Let me tell you about all the sweet little lies a vegan will tell you:
- Nutritional Yeast is NOT cheese! No matter how many times you put it in macaroni It isn’t going to become cheese!
- Tofu doesn’t moo- therefore its not hamburger
- Cauliflower can’t grow wings (thus the wings becoming “hot” is taboo!)
- You can’t milk a rice
- Egg tofu has nothing to do with eggs.
To all the foods i've loved before- but forgot about in the back of the fridge!
This is the perfect go to dish for all the slowly perishing fresh produce lining the space between the cracks in the glass shelving and back fridge. Lets be honest- who actually buys a head of cabbage and eats the whole thing 100% of the time. I mean seriously- its like the gift that refuses to stop giving! even after like 15 entree’s.
No egg tofu & veggie scramble is here to save the day. For the several halves of avocado you’ve forgotten to eat because taking that seed out seemed daunting (partial avocado wasters-you know who you are!).
For all those times you find bell pepper partials lingering from intermittent stir fry prep. For the half block of tofu that was almost forgotten. Because seriously-who eats the whole flipping block of tofu at once! The serving size versus portion size on the block of tofu is just plain wacked as far as i’m concerned! Fear not-this is the dish that has come to save the day. Reduce food waste– save avocado lives. Eat no egg & veggie scrambled open faced sammies.
No Egg Tofu and Veggie Scramble Open Faced Sammie
- frying pan
- sauce pan
- 2 oz olive oil
- 1 cup red cabbage
- 1 cup diced bell pepper
- 1 avocado medium
- 1 cup egg tofu tofu crumbled with hands to remove water
- 2 whole English muffins
- 1 cup mushroom
- 4-5 whole basil leaves
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp rosemary
- 1 tbsp kirkland no salt seasoning
- 1/4 cup half & half
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- mince garlic and chop veggies
- Toast english muffins
- simmer garlic and spices in olive oil. Add in egg tofu and saute until slightly crispy. Add in veggies and saute until charred or at desired texture.
- In a small saucepan on low heat melt butter. Add in mashed avocado and chives. Stir together. Remove from heat and add half and half or cream until reaches desired consistency. For a vegan product use coconut milk and vegan butter or oil.
- Add avocado sauce to the top of each English muffin.
- Top with basil