Table of Contents
What Do I Need To Make Vegan Street Tacos?
I’m bringing taco Tuesday back with these vegan street tacos. These tacos have a pinch of heat combined with powerful creamy goodness.
Here is what you’ll need to make these street tacos without meat:
- vegan small flour tortillas
- sweet potatoes
- alfalfa sprouts
- apple cider vinegar
- lime juice
- nutritional yeast
- cayenne pepper
- garlic and onion powder
I’ll apologize in advance if these sweet and spicy treats offend your tastebuds! You can easily modify by adding a smidge less cayenne pepper.
These vegan street tacos are quick to fix, and keep well for an anytime snack! Lets do this!
What Can I put in Street Tacos Instead of Meat?
There are actually a ton of options here!
If you want to choose something a little more traditional that mimics the taste of beef choose:
- Tofu (use extra firm, squeeze out the water with your hands and crumble).
- Textured vegetable protein.
- Commercial manufactured beef crumbles such as Boca crumbles.
- Jackfruit (this kinda mimics the taste of beef).
If you want to get crazy with some new street taco ideas that don’t include a “meaty” flavor choose these fillings:
- Cauliflower (breaded and baked)
- Sautéed mushrooms
- Black Bean
- Sweet Potato
Are Soft Taco Shells Vegan?
Taco shells are traditionally created with corn or flour as a base.
Most taco shell brands you can purchase that the grocery store will be vegan. This is because the oil which is used to create manufactured taco shells is typically plant based.
Historically, lard would be used create tortilla products. However this is much less common today than it was in say 1980.
However, if grandma is making soft tortilla shells you might want to examine the ingredients! Homemade tortillas still likely contain lard and therefore are not a good option for someone following a vegan path.
How Can I Use Sweet Potatoes In Vegan Tacos
Has your day to day become mundane? Have you been desperately searching for that little miracle in every moment?
Do yourself a favor. Get yourself a bag of sweet potatoes. Discover the new best friend you never knew you needed.
The kind of nutrients you will you find in a sweet potato taco like this one include:
- Vitamin A– supporting vision and immune system.
- Vitamin C– for collagen formation and immune support.
Fun Taco Toppings
Radishes are an under utilized natural beauty that completes any dish.
Some thing you might not know about radishes is that they contain calcium, vitamin K, zinc, copper, and manganese. They are also pretty dang easy to grow yourself if you’re feeling adventurous.
I tucked these little beauties In with a bed of garden sprouts. Garden sprouts come in all varieties. My first choice was some radish sprouts but we’re still out of season for those here. These micro salad greens really did the trick. Either will work for this recipe.
Garden sprouts are rich in thiamin, b6, folate, iron and selenium.
Vegan Taco Seasoning
I used to truly believe that I could not produce a taco without that little packet of 99 cent crap they convince you in the store is necessary for fiesta success.
Guess what-real taco seasoning is made from real spice!
Make your vegan taco seasoning with these ingredients instead:
- onion powder
- cayenne pepper
- curry powder
Think outside the mystery packet. Combine these flavors in any way you like to create the perfect vegan taco.
What’s Your Favorite Taco on a Tuesday?
If you’re looking for a vegan street taco treat straight from the garden you’ve come to the right place.
If you’re looking for a kick of spice with a savory finish I’ve got you covered. Love even more spice? Try tossing on some vegan hot sauce to these fresh tacos.
What are some of your favorite ways to build a taco masterpiece with less traditional ingredients such as sweet potato? Do you love spicy or savory? Please share your wisdom with a new vegan foodie below!
© 2022 Peace and Nutrition
great options for vegan street tacos are sweet potatoes, cauliflower, tofu, textured vegetable protein, beans, lentils or jackfruit
Combine an array of spices with oil including cayanne pepper, onion powder, rosemary, paprika, oregano, and crushed red pepper
Vegan Street Tacos
- baking sheet
- 8 small tortillas corn or flour
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 cup cilantro
- 1 cup garden sprouts
- 1 whole avocado large
Vegan Taco Seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cayanne pepper
- 2½ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1½ tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
vegan cheese sauce (nooch)
- 1 cup soaked cashew
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp lime juice fresh squeezed
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup water more for desired texture
Creating Cajun Seasoning
- Combine salt, oregano, paprika, rosemary, pepper, onion powder, cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, and black pepper in dish.
- chop up sweet potatoes for fresh taco fixings
- cover sweet potatoes in olive oil and seasonings. Lay flat on sheet pan and bake at 400°F for 15 minutes (a little less or more for desired tenderness).
Cheesy Vegan Cream Sauce
- soak 1 cup cashews for about an hour. Drain.
- add cashes, garlic, lemon juice, water, apple cider vinegar, and nutritional yeast to high powered blender. Blend. Add water at the end slowly until desired consistency is achieved.
Building Your Fresh Tco
- Top flour or corn tortillas with about 1/2 cup sweet potato. Add radishes, sprouts, about 1/4 avocado, and 2 tbsp vegan cream sauce.