Meet Meatless Joe- Your Perfect First Date with Vegan
It’s late. Your feet hurt. When you walk in the door you’re pleasantly surprised to find that dinners finished itself! These vegan gluten free sloppy joes are the most low-maintenance partner you’ve ever had in the kitchen. At the end of the day this protein packed and savory dish will leaving you feeling both happy and healthy!
Vegan Gluten Free Sloppy Joes-Your Plant Based Power House
So maybe you’re not vegan. Or Gluten Free. Perhaps a better word for you would be bold, daring, or adventurous when it comes to your pallet. Or maybe you’re just a genuine foodie not willing to pass up a savory, super cheap meal. Whatever be the reasoning, these magical meatless burgers (as I like to call them) have got you covered. We don’t discriminate, and I frequently find my carnivorous friends scarfing down a plate as quickly as my plant-loving peers!
If you’re a meatless maniac, then you know that choosing complimentary proteins is pretty much critical for building a plate that builds our body. Unlike meat, A single plant based protein choice may not contain all of of what are known as essential amino acids. An essential amino acid is one that MUST be consumed from foods as our bodies cannot make them. When consuming plant based proteins, getting the right amino acids, or otherwise known as creating complimentary proteins, can sometimes be a balancing act. This is good to know even if you are not vegetarian, as you may have days where animal proteins just aren’t seeming all that appealing.
You can create a plate with complimentary proteins by combining the types of plant based proteins we choose. This vegan sloppy joe recipe does this perfectly with combining grains and beans. It also contains quinoa, which is one plant based protein containing all 9 essential amino acids.
Iron Packed - No Beef, No Problem!
Do you want to feel like a winner all day every day? Alright-while this may sound a little cliche or over the top, its hard to feel like we’re winning at any thing when our body feels bogged down, tired, dizzy, and disoriented. These are just a few of the symptoms that are associated with iron-deficiency anemia. Iron deficiency anemia by the way, is also one of the most common nutrition deficiencies int he US, especially among predominantly plant food pursuers!
quinoa, garbanzo beans, and morningstar crumbles provide iron in this dish. Also keep in mind, that calcium (say from cheese) does impair iron absorption, so if you are truly making this meal vegan that will maximize iron absorption!
Snack Attack? How Else can I use this Vegan, Gluten Free Sloppy Joe Mix?
Contrary to popular belief- Sloppy Joe filling only BECOMES a sloppy joe when it’s piled between two over-sized slices a bread. In our case, gluten free bread. But our date with gluten free Joe is versatile in that it can be used more than once! Say hello to your best friend breakfast!
Throw this vegan gluten free sloppy joe mix in an omelette the following day for a quick easy fix that tastes amazing. Prevent food waste, save time, and money by saving the leftovers! I promise Joe won’t care when you call it by any other name. For more quick and easy meal and snack ideas check out these secrets.
Vegan Gluten Free Sloppy Joes
- Crock Pot
- 1 cube extra firm tofu crumbled
- 1 cup mushroom chopped
- 6 cups V8 juice
- 1 whole red bell pepper chopped
- 1 whole yellow bell pepper chopped
- 1 can garbanzo beans drained and rinsed
- 3-4 whole garlic cloves minced
- 1 whole jalapeno pepper Can add more if you love spice
- 1/2 cup quinoa uncooked
- 1/2 cup green onion
- 1 Tbsp Cumin
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1/4 cup cholula hot sauce
- 1 whole tomato chopped
- 8 oz radish sprouts sprinkled on top of each burger
- 8 Gluten Free Hamburger Buns 1 each
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- open firm tofu and squeeze all fluid from tofu with hands. Brown tofu in skillet with mushroom and olive oil. Add to crock pot gluten free sloppy joe mix.
- Chop bell peppers, tomato, garlic, and green onions. Add all ingredients except radish sprouts to medium or large crock pot to create vegan gluten free sloppy joe mix.
- Cook ingredients in low setting in crock pot for about 4-6 hours. This can vary slightly based on how busy you are in the day! These vegan sloppy joes are low maintenance.
- Toast gluten free hamburger buns if desired. Add sloppy joe mix to bun (about 1 cup for each burger). Top with about 1/4 cup radish sprouts. Enjoy!