Can Vegans Eat Brownies?
What if I told you you could have your cake and eat it too? Or in this case these ooey gooey fudgy nibbles created from the perfect from-scratch vegan brownies mix!
Remember the first time someone mentioned transitioning to vegan? The original idea probably sounded kinda crunchy, eco-friendly and altogether rad.
I’m guessing your initial vegan fantasies ended abruptly with a visualization of the imminent death of all your favorite goodies. Your guilty go-to’s crashing into your mind like a landslide (and not one filled with chocolate lava my friends-as those hoodlums typically load that stuff with animal based nonsense!)
I’m guessing the first time you heard the word “vegan,” lust for late night cheesy and chocolaty goodness beat out logic- even before it was officially a no go!
Don’t throw in the towel yet- I can help! Become vegan, let me teach you a few tricks and have any damn plant based snack you want!
How Replacing Eggs with Tofu Creates the Perfect Fudgy Vegan Brownies Mix
On the second glass shelf of the cold food preservation box (aka the refrigerator) a container of the unknown awaits. Tofu.
Don’t get me wrong. Eggs are cool. And I’ve got nothing against my little friends in the back yard that kindly distribute them free of charge for me on the daily.
Being a chicken owner is basically like having an incredibly cool organic vending machine. However, there are a few reasons why you may choose to alternate your daily egg dose for plants.
Top reasons to pick tofu over eggs:
- The chickens went on strike (e.g. you walk out for breakfast and none of the hens have a heck to give. Much less an egg.)
- You don’t want to or cannot own a chicken.
- You’re limiting dietary cholesterol.
- You don’t like eggs (*gasps!)
- You’re recently transformed into a vegan *raises hand!*
What Makes Brownies Chewy, Fudgy or Cakey?
I did a little soul searching in creating this recipe. Turns out, I didn’t know what kind of brownie I loved!
I spent my pre-vegan life living on the edge of whatever Betty Crockers boxed brownies I found at the lowest price promised.
Here is what I learned in my exploration.
Fudgy Vegan Brownies
In my humble opinion, the best bang for your buck! Fudgy brownies offer you an exceptional “bite” while maintaining a moist and goey texture.
How do you get them you might ask?
-Use white sugar over brown (molasses will increase moisture a bit too much).
-Don’t overdo the tofu! (In place of tofu, you can also create a flax egg).
Remember, the more eggs the more cakes the brownie. So just convert that to vegan terms!
Are My Brownies Fudgy or Undercooked?
Cakey Vegan Brownies
Chewy Vegan Brownies
Chewy Vegan brownies will have a similar fat to flour ratio as fudgy brownies.
Chewy brownies will have slightly less fat (added chocolate is a good example) than fudgy brownies.
My Favorite Fruit is Chocolate
Okay, maybe referencing chocolate as a fruit is just a wee bit ambitious. However, the evolution of cocoa is really quite miraculous. While not technically a fruit- it is certainly a plant! And thats good for vegans!
But chocolate is LOADED with antioxidants, and thats just about as good!
Did you know a quality dark chocolate also comes equips with its own fiber for healthy digestion and potentially cholesterol reduction.
In fact, some studies have even shown high qualit dark chocolate to reduce heart disease risk by 57%!
The cool thing about being vegan is that a lot of the chocolate we consume is dark chocolate.
Flavanols in dark chocolate also play a role in dilating the blood vessels to increase blood flow and reduce blood pressure.
What Factors Might Impact My Fudgy Vegan Brownies.
- Over mixing. Too much air in the brownies will change the texture. Mix these brownies just enough to combine.
- Size of the pan. I used an 11×7 baking pan for these brownies. This created a medium thickness brownie. However using a larger or smaller pan will change baking times as well thickness. It could also alter the texture.
- What you line the pan with could impact brownie texture. If parchment paper is not used, whatever is used to coat the pan could impact the texture and height of the brownie.
Go To Sweet Thing?
Brownies are probably my all time favorite dessert entree. I just had to find the perfect vegan fit! These brownies definitely do the trick! My 15 year old LOVES them too, although she is a very adamant carnivore herself.
Do you like a cakey, fudgy or chewy brownie? Do you have any stellar trips to adjust this recipe? Drop your suggestions in the comments below!
Fudgy Vegan Brownies Mix
- 11x7 baking dish
- medium sized mixing bowl
- ½ cup tofu silken
- ½ cup vegan cocoa powder
- ½ cup earth balance vegan butter melted
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 cup flour all purpose
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1½ cups sugar
- ¾ cup water
- ¾ cup vegan chocolate chips
- ½ cup walnuts if desired
- Combine all ingredients together except chocolate chips. Mix.
- Add chocolate chips to vegan brownies mix.
- Line 11x7 or 8x8 baking dish with parchment paper. Add mix to baking dish.
- Top with walnuts if desired.
- Bake at 350° for 30-40 minutes. When toothpick is inserted and comes out clean, brownies are done.