Table of Contents
What Do You Need For Chickpea Mash?
Remember when lunch time was the coolest hour of the day? I created this chickpea mash sammie out of desperation for vegan driven lunches on the go that didn’t SUCK! It exceeded expectations!
For this chickpea mash you will need:
- canned chickpeas
- lime juice
- nutritional yeast
In pre-vegan life, I thought egg salad Sammies were pretty cool. This chickpea mash sammie is just as delicious and easy as a animal based egg salad sammie.
Let’s face it, being vegan can feel daunting when we have to take a meal on the go. Without access to kitchen access and heat, a vegan meal seems to become ever more complicated!
I created this mix that could be easily whipped up in minutes and stored for several days for easy access! You’re welcome!
Chickpea Nutrition And Prepping Info
Chickpeas are also known as garbanzo beans.
Here are some great nutrients in chickpeas:
For an easier time mashing your chickpeas, microwave them!
Tricks For Using Avocado
I have a love-hate relationship with avocados. They seem to only be “truly ripe” for about 2.5 hours.
Here are some titps for finding the perfect avocado:
- Check it! remove the stem and look for a green or yellow color. This means its ready to eat.
- Cut an avocado width-wise to remove pit easier. (put the avocado pit back and remaining peel to preserve in the fridge!)
- Give it some lemon to preserve!
- Ripen in the microwave! Prick the skin with a fork and microwave for 30 seconds. Test firmness. Repeat until reach desired level of ripeness.
- Store avocados above onions in a container to preserve freshness
The cool thing about this chickpea mash is that it contains lime as part of the nooch sauce. This will help to preserve the color in the actual mash.
Aquafaba Foam Uses
Aquafaba is the liquid that comes from a can of chickpeas. We actually aren’t going to use aquafaba in this chickpea sandwich, so I highly recommend you recycle it for later!
Use aquafaba in:
- Muffins to make light and fluffy
- Create meringues
- Vegan mayo
- Vegan butter
- Vegan marshmallow
To be vegan means being an artist. So challenge yourself to make food go further and your chickpea water from going down the drain!
How Long Can I store Chickpea Mash in the Fridge?
Once this blend is created, store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Chickpea mash is a great prep-ahead meal or side dish for vegans.
While this vegan chickpea salad mash should be stored in the fridge, it can easily be taken for lunches as well in a cold pack.
5-Ways To Use Chickpea Mash
This is a versatile dish that can be used when combined with other entree’s or as a stand-alone item.
How To use chickpea mash:
- Add it to pasta
- Use in a wrap
- As a salad topping
- Add to pizza
- Make a sammie
- Add to top of roasted veggies
- Use as a toast topping
- Add to a cracker/rice cake
- Use as part of vegan caprese
- Add to rice or quinoa
Use this as an excellent easy and flavorful protein additive.
I love this dish as a great take along for vegan school lunches as well. It’s always difficult to find a vegan treat kids will eat but this definitely makes the cut!
Variations of Chickpea Mash
If you want to get creative with chickpea mash, try these variations:
- Jalapeños or other hot peppers
- Sriracha or buffalo sauce
- Chives/Basil or other herbs
What Are Your Favorite Vegan Sammies?
This vegan chickpea salad sammie is anything but boring!
It’s the adventure you’ve been waiting for to break up your day.
Do you have any other vegan sammie ideas that are to die for? Any combinations of this recipe that make lunch and snacks even more exciting?
Drop them in the comments below! I’d love to spice up the creativity even further.
- 1 can garbanzo beans drained
- ½ avocado large
- 1 whole tomato sliced
- 4 bread slices any type
- t tbsp dil fresh or dried
- 2 tbsp lime juice fresh squeezed
- 1 cup cashews soaked 1 hour
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Drain and rinse chickpeas. Save chickpea water to make tasty treats at a later time if desired!
- blend all nooch sauce ingredients for 3 minutes
- Add nooch sauce to chickpeas and avocado in medium sized bowl. Mash using potato masher or in this case I actually used a muddler! Continue to mash until desired consistency is achieved.
- spread chickpea mix on desired bread choice. Add tomato. Add fresh or dried dill.